Thick & creamy chocolate ‘cheesecake’ & peanut butter on a crumbly Oreo biscuit base.
All the posts about Daiya’s new chocolate cheesecake going around at the moment got my cravings going!!! I hadn’t made one in a while so it was about time I made another.
As you’ve probably noticed if you follow my posts, I am a little obsessed with chocolate and peanut butter so surprise surprise, I’ve added a layer of crunchy peanut butter to mine 🙂
I used Oreos as the base as they’re perfectly crunchy, crumbly and sweet to balance out the rich chocolate cheesecake filling.
When I first saw a recipe for cheesecake using tofu I was a little freaked out, which I’m sure you did when you first saw it (or maybe you’re thinking that now). But don’t let it put you off!! You’d be amazed at how well it works, and really wouldn’t know by tasting it. My non-vegan cheesecake-loving boyfriend is obsessed with this recipe!!
The taste of tofu is so subtle that the chocolate completely overpowers it (in a good way). It also creates the perfect creamy, but firm, texture of a cheesecake. It’s quite important that you use extra firm tofu in this recipe to achieve the right texture (I used Tofoo extra firm). If you can’t find extra firm tofu, then decrease the amount of plant milk in the recipe (add the plant milk little by little until you achieve the right texture).
Even if you’re not a vegan, this is a healthier substitute for a real cheesecake as the fat content of tofu is a lot lower than cream cheese.
I’ve kept mine nice and simple with no decor, but you can top yours off with chocolate shavings, crushed Oreos, some fruit or whatever you wish!!
You can keep it covered up in the fridge for 3-5 days, or freeze it so you have a go-to treat whenever the cravings hit!
Give it a go and let me know how you get on! 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 8-10 slices
- 2 packets Oreos (154g packets)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (I used Vitalite Sunflower)
- 6 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
- 280g extra firm tofu (I used Tofoo Extra Firm)
- 4 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup soya milk
- 200g dark chocolate
- Blitz the Oreos in a food processor until they form a fine crumb. Mix the melted butter in and press into the bottom of a round baking tray until flattened.
- Pop your peanut butter in the microwave for around 30 seconds, or over a hob for a minute, until it’s a little runnier and easier to spread. Spoon it over the biscuit base and spread it evenly.
- Put the tofu, agave syrup, soya milk and vanilla essence into a blender/food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave, or over a hob, and add to the tofu mixture little by little, whilst blending together. Add a splash of plant milk if the mixture becomes too firm.
- Spoon the cheesecake mixture on top of the peanut butter and spread evenly.
- Chill for at least an hour (it will get firmer as the chocolate hardens).