Indulgent Thai red curry packed with lots of veggies!
This is a real comforting and warming meal, perfect in this arctic weather we’ve been having recently! It’s a rich creamy sauce, but as it’s full of veggies, it doesn’t feel too indulgent!
I will admit, I used to make all of my curry fresh from a jar from Sainsburys, purely because I always thought curry was a complicated dish to make. I was never really happy with the taste or texture of the jarred curries, as they taste a bit ‘plasticy’ to me, but it was just so easy. I’m all about shortcuts, but when it comes to curry, DON’T BE LAZY – it’s so easy to make using curry pastes.
The recipe below is really straight forward, and quick. You don’t need to be a master-chef. The secret to making amazing Thai curries is to use lots of aromatics (like onion, ginger and garlic) for intense flavour, and full-fat coconut milk for richness!
All of the ingredients are easy to get your hands on, you can find everything you need for this simple curry at most grocery stores. Of course feel free to swap out any of the veggies for your favourites 🙂 you could try cauliflower, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potato, or whatever tickles your fancy!
This is delicious eaten fresh, but if you can resist having all of it, pop it in the fridge in an airtight container, or with some cling film over the top of your dish, and it will keep for a few days! I use my leftovers to spice up my instant noodles – YUM!
Serve your curry with fresh rice, I use basmati, or with some fried or grilled flaky roti (or both!).
Give it a go and let me know how you get on! 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minuteTotal: 30 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 large red chillies, sliced
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby sweetcorn, sliced
- 1/2 broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup mange tout
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup red thai curry paste (double check label for quantity)
- 1 tin full-fat coconut milk
- 2 limes
- Soy sauce, to taste (optional)
- Big handful of coriander
- Spring onion, to garnish
- Fry the onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, and chilies in coconut oil for 2 minutes until the onions have browned a little.
- Add the sweetcorn, courgettes, broccoli, mange tout, cashews and curry paste and fry for 5 minutes on a medium-high heat.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan and stir it in. Fill the can up 1/3 of the way with water and also add to the pan. Cook it on a medium heat for a further 3 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of the limes in and stir it in with a big handful of coriander.
- Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes and serve with the fresh rice.
- Sprinkle some more fresh coriander and chopped spring onion on-top, add a splash of soy sauce (if you wish) and ENJOY!!!