Rigatoni in a super rich and creamy tomato & sweet pepper sauce!
Sweet tomato and pepper sauce so creamy you wouldn’t believe it’s vegan!
I admit, I have an addiction to pasta. Tomato pasta, cheesy pasta, pesto pasta… you name it, I love it!
It’s the perfect weekday meal as it’s quick, easy and delicious 🙂
Homemade pasta sauce is so much better than the jarred ones as you can make them taste exactly how you like, and it’s only a little bit of extra work.
This one’s made from a base of chopped tomatoes and gets it’s creaminess from cashews! It’s a healthier alternative to the usual cream-based pasta sauces as it’s much lower in fat. Of course onion and garlic are standard to pretty much every meal I make, but I also added a red pepper to give the sauce a bit of sweetness.
I used Asda’s own brand meatless balls as they’re rather meaty and soak up the flavour of the sauce really well. They’re high in protein and low in fat, so they’re a great, healthier substitute for real meatballs! You don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy these 🙂
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 cup cashews, soaked for a couple hours
- 3/4 cup plant-milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 packet meatless balls – I used Asda’s own brand
- Handful fresh basil for garnish
- Put your pasta on to boil. Check packet for timings as these can vary.
- Fry the onions, garlic and pepper in 1 tbsp olive oil until they soften. Add the can of chopped tomatoes, along with salt, pepper, sugar, tomato ketchup and dried basil. Fry it on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Blend together your soaked cashews (if you haven’t soaked them, put them on to boil for 10 minutes until they expand and soften), plant milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, paprika, 2 tbsp olive oil, and the chopped tomato sauce and blend together until smooth.
- Fry your meatless balls in 1 tbsp olive oil until brown.
- Add your creamy pasta sauce, tomato puree and drained rigatoni, and stir together for a 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top it off with a handful of fresh basil, and ENJOY!