Squidgy gnocchi in a rich tomato sauce with layers of melted vegan mozzarella.
This is a simple and quick recipe using pre-made gnocchi – I’m a lazy chef (most of the time), so the packet gnocchi works perfectly for me 🙂 I will attempt to make my own one day, but for a quick and easy meal there is absolutely nothing wrong with shortcuts!
There’s something really comforting about gnocchi. It’s perfect for when you’re craving something really hearty, warm and filling. Potatoes AND pasta – it’s carb heaven!
The tomato sauce is rich, thick and healthy, and is soaked up perfectly by the gnocchi. If you like a bit of spice, you can add a bit of chopped chili, or chili flakes to the sauce to give it an extra kick.
I used Violife’s Mozzarella Flavour Block as it’s tasty, and IT MELTS!!! It’s the same one that a lot of Pizza restaurant chains are using to veganize their pizzas, so it’s ideal.
We served our gnocchi with vegan garlic bread and noccerella olives on the side – a full Italian feast.
Give it a go, and let me know how you get on 🙂
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chopped or plum tomatos
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt, to taste (I used about 3/4 tsp, but start with 1/2 and work your way up)
- pepper, to taste (I used about 3/4 tsp, but start with 1/2 and work your way up)
- 500g gnocchi
- 60g vegan mozzarella, I used Violife Mozzarella Flavour Block
- handful of fresh basil
- Put the gnocchi on to boil over a low to medium heat. Check the packet for instructions on how long to boil for as this can vary.
- Fry your garlic and onion in olive oil over a medium heat until they start to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, ketchup, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and simmer over a medium heat until the tomatoes start to fall apart and the sauce becomes a bit smoother.
- Once the gnocchi is ready, drain the water and mix it into the tomato sauce.
- Serve half of the gnocchi onto your bowls, and put some mozzarella on top. Then serve the rest of the gnocchi and put some more mozzarella on top.
- Put under the grill for around 5-10 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Top it off with a handful of fresh basil, and ENJOY! 🙂