Tofu and veggies cooked in a rich aromatic Rendang curry.
Rendang is a heavily spiced curry that’s reduced down to produce a thick, rich sauce.
It originates from South East Asia. Most people will say that it’s an Indonesian dish, but it could be argued that it comes from Malaysia. Being half Malaysian myself, and often eating Rendang curry there, I’m going to be biased and go with Malaysia 😉
Either way, it’s delicious.
To achieve a crispy tofu, I toss mine in cornflour before frying. This step is optional, but I do recommend it!
My recipe is packed with peppers, broccoli, aubergines and mushrooms. You can of course swap these our for your favourites.
However, the onion, garlic and chilli is essential to add to the deep flavour of a Rendang curry.
This is a simple, fools-proof recipe, that only takes 30 minutes of your time 🙂
Crushed peanuts and spring onions are my normal choice of garnish as they add a little extra flavour and crunch.
I usually enjoy my delicious tofu and veggie Rendang curry with fresh basmati rice, sliced cucumber and some roti, if I have it in my freezer.
Give it a go, and let me know how you get on!!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 280g extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 big red chillies, chopped
- 1 small broccoli, chopped
- 1 aubergine, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 jar rendang curry paste (180g)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- 4 stems spring onion, for garnish
- 1/2 cup peanuts, for garnish
- Toss your tofu in cornflour and fry on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, turning your tofu so all sides crisp up.
- Pop your onion, garlic, peppers and chillies in the pan and fry for another 5 minutes until softened.
- Next, add your broccoli, aubergine, mushrooms, Rendang paste and curry powder, and fry for another 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Then, add your coconut milk and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced a little.
- Finally, season with salt or soy sauce to taste.
- Serve and ENJOY! 🙂