Mock chicken, fresh vegetables and noodles in a peanut sauce topped with coriander, spring onions, chilli and chopped peanuts.
A throwback to your gap yaar in Thailand! (only joking)… The first time I had Pad Thai was in Bangkok with my sister in 2013, I remember finding little market stalls on every corner selling a whole array of authentic Thai dishes. The aroma was amazing!! I was never not eating as it was impossible to resist all the amazing foods we came across. The Pad Thai was incredible, and they’d rustle it up right in front of you within minutes! I just had to veganise it, with my own twist 🙂
My Pad Thai is a healthy yet delicious meal packed with lots of protein and veggies!
A lot of ingredients are required to create this intense flavour and texture combination, but the recipe itself is really simple and quick, only taking about 20 minutes to make.
It seemed a bit scary using peanut butter in main meals as I always used to see it more of a sweet condiment to have on toast, or in desserts, but it works amazingly as an ingredient in asian cuisine. Click here for my peanut sauce recipe – perfect to dip some spring rolls in!
I used TKC mock chicken pieces in my recipe, they’re my favourite substitute for chicken (soy based) as they’re meaty and have a lovely flavour to them so there’s no need to marinate them. You can find them in Chinese supermarkets, I get them from Wing Yip superstore in London. If you haven’t got access to this, or aren’t a fan of mock meats, you can use tofu in your recipe, or miss it out completely 🙂
I used crunchy peanut butter in my recipe to add a bit more bite to the sauce, but feel free to use smooth peanut butter if that’s what you prefer, or have available. Also feel free to mix up the veggies if you like, you could add some bean sprouts in there, some mange toute, green beans or even carrot if you like! 🙂
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 200g linguine
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 broccoli, chopped
- 8 pieces vegan chicken, optional
- 1 pak choi
- 1/2 lime juice
- 3 stems spring onion, for garnish
- handful coriander, for garnish
- 1 red chilli, for garnish
- handful chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Lime wedge, for garnish
- Put your linguine on to boil for around 10 minutes until they’re ‘el dente’ (still a little firm) and drain the water.
- Mix the peanut butter, water, soy sauce, sesame oil and onion and garlic granules in a bowl until combined.
- On a high heat, fry your garlic, ginger, pepper, broccoli and vegan chicken in vegetable oil for a 5 minutes until they start to brown.
- When your linguine is done, drain the water out and add it to the pan with the pak choi, peanut sauce and lime juice. Toss together for 5 minutes.
- Add more soy sauce to taste, and serve topped with spring onion, coriander, chilli and chopped peanuts.