Breaded tempeh skewers served with a homemade peanut sauce.
This is a quick and easy recipe using ingredients you will probably already have in your kitchen!
I’ve only recently tried tempeh for the first time but I’m so glad I have discovered it as it’s another great option to have other than tofu and meat substitutes. It has quite a soft texture so the contrast of the crunchy breadcrumb coating and the soft center is lovely!!
You can have these as a snack, or as a side dish to enjoy with your main meal. They also work perfectly as party food to impress your friends and family. I enjoyed my tempeh with some basmati rice, and a pak choi and sweet corn stir fry (click here for the recipe).
Peanut sauce is probably my all time favourite dipping sauce to have with Asian cuisine as it’s sweet, salty and reminds me of the days I used to have chicken satay sticks at my uncles restaurant when I was a kid! It’s the perfect sauce to enjoy with your tempeh skewers! (Click here for the recipe :))
If you have time, you can marinate your tempeh cubes in soy sauce and sesame oil overnight, this will add extra flavour to your tempeh, but they’re still delicious without if you’re short on time!
Give it a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 skewers
- 1.5 slices bread
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 1.5 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 200g tempeh
- 4 bamboo skewers
- Pre-heat your oven to 200ºC and line your baking tray with baking paper or foil.
- Put your slices of bread in your food processor and blitz until you have breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, you can pop your bread in the toaster for a couple minutes, allow the toast to cool, and then grate it :).
- Add your salt, garlic and onion granules to the breadcrumbs and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix your mayonnaise, soy sauce and water until combined.
- Cut your tempeh into pieces approximately 3-4cm cubes.
- Coat them in your mayo mixture, and then your breadcrumbs and stick them on your skewers. The size of my skewers allowed for 3 cubes on each stick, but these may vary.
- Pop them on your tray and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning half way through. Cook until they are golden brown.
- Serve with some dipping sauce (click here for my peanut sauce recipe) 🙂