Juicy meat(less)balls in a spicy arrabiata sauce.
This is a quick, easy, yet delicious meal that absolutely anyone could make. I know a lot of people try to avoid cooking during the week after work, as there just isn’t a lot of time (myself included), but with this recipe you could enjoy a lovely, hearty home cooked meal in just 20 minutes.
I used ASDA meat free meatballs in my recipe as they soak up the flavour from the sauce wonderfully, and they’re soft without falling apart. They’re also high in protein and low in fat so they’re a much healthier substitute for real meatballs. Feel free to substitute the meat-less balls for any thing else you’d like, you could use some vegan mince, vegan sausages, or another meatball substitute you have available.
My non-vegan boyfriend gave this meal the big thumbs up, and said he enjoyed the meat-less balls much more than he does real meatballs as they’re lighter, juicier and healthier. Just goes to show, you really don’t have to be a vegan to enjoy vegan food! 🙂
We like our food spicy, so we sprinkled a few chili flakes on the top of ours to add an extra kick!
I hope you enjoy this just as much as we did! Give it a try and let me know how you get on in the comments section below 🙂
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 200g spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 1/2 courgette, chopped
- 10 ASDA meat free meatballs (or your favourite substitute)
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 1 can chopped tomato
- 2 tbsp chili tomato puree
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp sugar
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Vegan cheese, to taste (I use Violife Prosociano Vegan Cheese)
- Put the spaghetti on to boil on a medium heat. Check the packet for timings as they can vary. Normally it would take around 12 minutes to cook, but check up on them often to ensure they do not overcook.
- Put the meatballs in the microwave for 1 minute to defrost. If you don’t have a microwave then you can just leave them out for half an hour, or fry them on a low heat with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Fry onion and garlic in olive oil until they start to brown. Add the red pepper, chili, courgette and meat-less balls and fry until they start to brown. Crumble the stock cube onto the veggies and once they have softened and the meat-less balls have browned off, add the can of chopped tomato, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, oregano, salt and sugar. Simmer on a low-medium heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the spaghetti has cooked, drain the water out and stir the butter in until melted.
- Plate up the spaghetti and meatball marinara, and top it off with some grated vegan cheese and a few fresh basil leaves.
- ENJOY 🙂