Sautéd mushrooms in a thick and creamy pasta sauce!
A hearty, quick and satisfying meal that anyone can make in just 20 minutes.
This is a perfect recipe for a weekday evening where you fancy something a little more exciting than a microwave meal or ‘oven food’.
I have always loved creamy pastas and when I turned vegan my heart broke a little at the thought I couldn’t have them anymore. But then I discovered cashew cream and it has changed my life!!!! The heartache was totally unnecessary as this sauce is even better than those I’ve had in the past. The sauce is so creamy that you just wouldn’t believe it’s vegan, and it’s totally guilt free 🙂
I used Violife Prosociano Vegan Cheese Style to sprinkle on top of my bowl. I really wasn’t expecting much when I first tasted it, as I hadn’t had much luck with vegan cheeses, but I couldn’t believe how ‘cheesy’ this one was! It’s my favourite cheese to have with pasta as it’s pretty much exactly how I remember Parmesan to taste.
My non-vegan boyfriend doesn’t normally like creamy pastas (he says they’re too sickly – probably because he’s not a baby cow…) but he loved this!
Give it a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 200g pasta
- 4 tbsp olive oil (half for frying, half for cashew cream)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dairy-free butter
- 1/2 vegetable stock cube
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup plant-milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Sprinkle of grated vegan cheese (optional)
- Put the pasta on to boil over a medium heat. Check the instructions to see how long your pasta takes to cook, and keep an eye on it.
- Fry the onion and garlic in 2 tbsp olive oil (only half the olive oil in the recipe) over a medium heat for a few minutes until the onions soften.
- Add the mushrooms and dairy-free butter, crumble the stock cube in and fry on a medium-high heat until the mushrooms soften and brown off a little.
- Blend together the cashews, plant-milk, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, lemon juice and paprika.
- Drain the pasta and add to the mushroom mix along with the cashew cream.
- Fry over a medium-high heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh basil and your favourite grated cheese – I used Violife Prosociano Vegan Cheese Style.