Fried tortillas filled with hot salsa, ‘chorizo’, green peppers, red chilies, sweetcorn, beans, rice, guacamole and melted cheese!!!
These are the ultimate comfort food – perfect for a lunchtime snack or Friday night treat!! Sometimes there is nothing that will hit the spot like a hot, gooey, cheese toastie. Here’s one with a Mexican twist, a tortilla packed with all the trimmings – ‘chorizo’, green peppers, red chilies, rice, sweetcorn, beans, guacamole and of course – CHEESE!
These really were delicious (if I can say so myself). I made 2 on Friday night (one for me and one for my boyfriend) but I really wish I’d made more!! All of the different textures from the crispy chorizo, grainy rice, smooth guac and the gooey cheese in a crispy, fried tortilla were amazing.
I have recently discovered the best vegan cheese I have ever tasted – Follow Your Heart’s Pepper Jack Cheese Slices. They have little pieces of jalapenos in to give them a real spicy kick, and the best bit – they melt!! I had to stop myself from eating the whole packet. It’s the perfect cheese for this recipe 🙂 You can find them in Whole Foods, or Holland & Barrett.
I found Cheatin’s Chorizo Style pieces in Holland & Barrett’s chilled section. They’re salty and spicy like the real thing, and crisp up nicely when you fry them.
I admit I cheated and used a pouch of ready made rice in my recipe – Uncle Ben’s do a really nice Spicy Mexican Rice that has sweetcorn and beans in it too. It’s convenient and when a recipe like this has so many components, there’s nothing wrong with taking shortcuts.
They’re best served with some guacamole or salsa to dip them in 🙂
So whether you’re a vegan looking for meal ideas, or a non-vegan wanting to try something new – this is one for everyone! Give it a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g vegan chorizo (I used Cheatin’s)
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 big red chili, chopped
- 6 tbsp tomato salsa
- 1 pouch Mexican rice (or fresh if you prefer – I used Uncle Ben’s)
- 4 slices vegan cheese (I used Follow Your Heart – Pepper Jack)
- 6 tbsp guacamole (2 avocados)
- 3 large tortillas
- Fry the chorizo, green peppers and red chili in 2 tbsp oil over a medium heat until they start to brown. Set them aside.
- Pop your pouch of rice in the microwave for 2 mins.
- Layer up your large tortilla with salsa, chorizo & peppers, Mexican rice, guacamole and cheese (see pics below).
- Cut a circle from your remaining tortillas about a half diameter wide – this is to pop on top of your tortilla fillings, to ensure that you can seal the tortilla up when you fold it up. (You can use the scraps to make homemade nachos!)
- Fold the edges into the middle over to form a hexagon.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in your pan over a low-medium heat. Pop your tortilla hexagons in your pan, folded edges faced down and fry them on each side for about 3 minutes until they start to go brown and crispy.
- Cut them in half, and ENJOY!!!