Rich chocolate cupcakes topped with crunchy peanut cornflakes and chocolate chips!!
I was coming home for the long Easter weekend and wanted to bring my (non-vegan) family some yummy vegan treats. My dad has a big sweet tooth, loves his cakes and always has peanut butter on the kitchen counter tops, so these were perfect 🙂
They went down really well, and they couldn’t believe that they were vegan! The whole batch went VERY quickly!
Everyone always has chocolate cornflake cakes, but here’s something a little different! The cornflakes and peanut butter go together deliciously. And they compliment the soft sponge really well.
This is a really easy recipe using simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, and if not you can easily get in your local supermarket.
The key to getting your cupcakes really light and fluffy is to whip up the vegan butter until it lightens in colour. This introduces air into the mixture which makes a really spongy cake 🙂
Flax seeds mixed together with warm/hot water is a really good egg substitute which binds the mixture together.
Give them a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 12-15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 100g plant-based butter
- 80g sugar
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 80g self-raising flower
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 2 cups cornflakes
- 4 heaped tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 20g chocolate
- 12 cupcake papers
- Pre-heat your oven to 180ºC.
- Mix the flax seed and water for 3 minutes and then set aside.
- Whisk the butter for about 5 minutes until it lightens in colour and becomes fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix for a minute.
- Add the flax egg, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and plant milk and whisk together until smooth.
- Fill your cupcake papers with your mixture, roughly 1 tbsp each (depends on the size of your cupcake papers). Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Whilst the cupcakes are in the oven, crush your cornflakes into a rough crumb. Mix your peanut butter in until it’s bound together.
- Take the cupcakes out the oven and leave them on a rack to cool.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, top them off with about a teaspoon of the cornflake mixture, and sprinkle some chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate) on top.