Portobello mushrooms drizzled with garlic olive oil and topped with melted cheese, ham and chives!
Garlic stuffed mushrooms are one of my favourite starters to have whenever I go out to dinner, I have to get them if they’re on the menu!
I topped my big portobello mushrooms with a classic and DELICIOUS combo – ham and cheese! It’s a combination I really missed when I went vegetarian, and I’m so happy I can enjoy it again now I’m vegan.
They’re so easy to make, anyone can rustle these up in just a half hour.
You can enjoy them as a starter, as part of a main meal, or you could top some smaller mushrooms and serve them as part of a dinner party canapé platter 🙂
I used Quorn’s vegan ham slices – when I first tried them I was amazed how much they taste like the ‘real’ thing! You can find them in most supermarkets now which is great.
I used Violife’s mozzarella flavour block as it has a really subtle flavour which isn’t too strong, and IT MELTS! When I first went vegan, I really struggled to find a good cheese replacement, the first one I tried was disgusting as you could really taste the coconut and the smell was foul. It put me off my search for a while, but then I discovered Violife! For anyone who wants to try vegan cheese for the first time, I would definitely recommend it, along with Follow Your Heart’s range.
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 35 mins
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 40g grated vegan cheese
- 4 slices vegan ham
- 10 stems fresh chives
- Pre-heat your oven to 200ºc.
- Drizzle your olive oil over the top of your mushrooms and sprinkle with garlic and onion granules, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix your chopped ham, grated cheese and chopped chives.
- Top your mushrooms with the ham, cheese and chives and put in the oven for 15 minutes covered in foil.
- After 15 minutes, take the foil off and put them under the grill for another 15 minutes until the cheese has fully melted and has started to brown.