Light and fluffy banana cake – need I say more!
I’m a bit weird because I really hate bananas on their own (I think its the slimy texture) but I LOVE a banana cake!!! Along with chocolate, banana cake is my favourite. My parents used to make them a lot when I was growing up, so it’s a real home comfort. I thought it’s about time I rustled one up for you guys!
It’s a super simple recipe, containing no weird ingredients you have to go to the end of the earth to find.
Banana cake is healthier than most cakes as it requires less fat and more fruit, there are 4 bananas packed into this loaf (+1 for decor!).
The banana works as the binding ingredient so there is absolutely no need for egg or an egg replacement in this recipe 🙂
Keep your cake in the fridge and it will last up to 4 days – if you can somehow resist having it all (me and my boyfriend ate the whole thing in 2 days, I’ve got to live up to the name right?!).
If you want to spice your banana cake up a bit, you can top it off with a drizzle of icing, or some melted chocolate!
Give it a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 45-50 mins
Total time: 50-55 minutes
Serves: 8-10 slices
- 1 cup brown caster sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 bananas (+1 for decor)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pre heat your oven to 180ºc and line your cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk your brown sugar and vegetable oil until the sugar has dissolved.
- Mash 4 of your bananas up and add them to the sugar and oil mixture, mix until smooth.
- Add your water and vanilla essence and mix again until smooth.
- Sieve your flour and baking powder in and whisk until combined but do not over mix.
- Fill your cake tin with your cake mixture, slice your last banana in half (length ways) and pop them on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minute until a toothpick comes out clean (baking time will vary depending on the tin you are using, I used a narrow and deep tin so it took longer, but a shallower and wider tin will cook quicker 🙂 )
- Allow the cake to cook before taking it out of the tin.
- Slice and ENJOY!!!