Pasta bows with ‘bacon’ bits, onions and peas in a creamy carbonara sauce.
One of my old favourites before I went vegan!!! It was also one of the first meals that I veganised, so it’s about time I shared it with you 🙂
It’s just as creamy, if not creamier, than dairy based carbonara! Even though I loved it before, all the cream and cheese in carbonara alway made my tummy a little bit sad (probably because I’m not a baby cow…JK…not JK’ing), but now I an indulge on a huge bowl of this without any upsets!! My non-vegan boyfriend, also much prefers my vegan carbonara to dairy-based carbonara.
It’s a quick and easy recipe for a delicious meal you can whip up in just 20 minutes, so you can even enjoy a tasty home cooked meal if you’re short on time 🙂
I can’t get enough of this so I always make a big portion, and keep the leftovers in the fridge to heat up in the microwave for lunch or dinner for a couple days!
I used my Crunchy Bacon Bits, onions and peas in my carbonara, but you can put whatever you normally like in your carbonara.
The sauce is cashew based, with some vegan garlic cream cheese added for extra flavour and creaminess. I just used Sainsbury’s own cream cheese, which is probably my favourite one, it tastes just like Philadelphia!
Give it a go and let me know how you get on 🙂
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 200g pasta
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup crunchy bacon bits (click here for the recipe)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup plant milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil, for dressing
- Put your pasta on to boil, check the packet for cooking times as these will vary.
- Put your cashews on to boil to soften them up, this is optional, but it definitely makes the sauce creamier!!
- Fry your garlic and onion in olive oil over a low-medium heat until they start to brown. Add the peas and bacon bits and turn the heat to low, stirring occasionally.
- After about 10 minutes drain your soaked cashews and pop them in your blender along with your plant milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt, pepper, lemon juice and cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Once your pasta is ready, drain the water and add to the pan with your garlic, onions and bacon bits. Add your sauce and toss together for 5 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top.