Smokey barbecued tofu and charred broccoli!
On a cold Sunday afternoon, I swear by doing the absolute minimum. I couldn’t be bothered to go to the supermarket but wanted an easy and healthy (but delicious) meal. So I looked in the fridge to see what I had – a broccoli, a pack of tofu and a bottle of barbecue sauce. This meal is a quick and easy one that only takes 20 minutes to make, and only requires 7 key ingredients.
I am obsessed with barbecue sauce at the moment so thought I’d use it in a marinade. The sweetness from the BBQ BBQ sauce, the saltiness from the soy sauce and miso paste, the flavour from the garlic powder and the crispness from the oil make the perfect delicious marinade to smother the tofu and broccoli in.
For a bit of a kick I drizzled a bit of sriracha sauce on top, and sprinkled some spring onion and coriander on for some extra fresh flavour 🙂
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 280g firm tofu
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large broccoli
- 2 spring onions (to garnish)
- 1 handful coriander (to garnish)
- Mix 2 tbsp vegetable oil, barbecue sauce, miso paste and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Put the cubed tofu in a bowl and mix with half the marinade. Put the chopped broccoli in a separate bowl with the other half of the marinade.
- Fry the cubed tofu in 1 tbsp oil on a high heat, tossing them often to ensure all sides of the tofu are charred. Once they are evenly charred on all sides, put them aside in a bowl.
- Fry the broccoli in 1 tbsp oil on a medium heat until the broccoli has softened a little, and has charred.
- Serve them up and garnish with spring onion and coriander. If you like a bit of spice, add some of your favourite chilli sauce.