Hearty, healthy sandwich filled with spiced chickpeas & salad!
Super quick and easy recipe with tasty results.
A perfect quick and healthy snack, or even a packed lunch!
I needed to make myself a packed lunch as I was going to Wraysbury Lake on the weekend to do my qualifying dives for my Open Water Padi! I didn’t have any time to pop to the supermarket all week and I had a can of chickpeas in the cupboard, a load of spices, an onion and some salad in the fridge – so a chickpea sandwich it was!
It can be eaten hot or cold 🙂 if you want it warm just pop it in the grill for a few minutes to let the bread crisp up.
Give it a go and let me know how you get on!
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 onion
- 1/3 tsp cajun
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Sliced bread
- Hot sauce (or your own choice of sauce)
- Dairy-free butter
- Egg-free mayonnaise
- Drain the water from the can of chickpeas, and either pop them in a blender for a quick blitz (not too long as you still want the chickpeas to be lumpy), or you can mush them with a fork or potato masher.
- Add the chopped onion, cajan, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Butter your bread, and put the mayo on top (the butter will stop the bread from getting soggy from the mayo). Layer it up with your salad and add your sauce of choice.
- If you’re eating it now you can even pop it in the grill to crisp up a little. If not then wrap it up and ENJOY!